Permanent makeup is an exciting way to enhance natural beauty with immediate gratification. All of my procedures are customizable in terms of style, color, and shape, allowing clients to truly take ownership of their results, guided by my professional recommendations. That said, my style as a permanent makeup artist leans towards conservative, natural-looking results. With each initial procedure complemented by a touch-up appointment, adding more is a simple and effective way to perfect your desired look.
HOW CAN I PREPARE FOR MY APPOINTMENT
Additional Preparation Guidelines:
- 24 hours prior to your appointment, DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL or CAFFEINE.
- 72 hours prior to your appointment, DO NOT TAKE BLOOD THINNERS such as Advil, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Niacin or Vitamin E unless medically necessary. Tylenol is okay.
- If you plan to go on a vacation, it is recommended to plan your trip a minimum of 14 days after the procedure.
- It is highly recommended that you avoid SUN and TANNING BED exposure for 30 days BEFORE and AFTER your procedure to avoid the skin exfoliation that occurs following a sunburn. If you show up for your appointment with a new tan or a sunburn, you will need to reschedule and will forfeit your deposit.
- Lip Procedures: Talk to a doctor about obtaining a Valtrex prescription for 3 days before and 3 days after procedure for the first appointment and the follow up to avoid a cold sore breakout.
- Eye Liner: Stop all lash serums 4 weeks before any eyeliner procedure.
- Botox should be done 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after the procedure.
- Fillers should be done 4 weeks before or 4 weeks after.
- No waxing or tinting 3 days before.
- Arrive with no makeup on for your appointment.
- A lot of wiping of pigment takes place and makeup can get ruined, so save yourself the hassle!
- Be prepared for your procedure area to be slightly red and/or really dark that will fade in color 20-30%. Lips will be swollen up to double their size and extremely vibrant in color, which generally fade 30-50%.
YOU ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR THESE PROCEDURES IF YOU HAVE/ ARE:
• Pregnant or breastfeeding
• A history of keloids or hypertrophic scarring (Please google image if you are unsure.)
• Diabetic (Should you choose to move forward, I require a doctor’s clearance and a history of no issues with healing.)
• Undergoing chemotherapy (Consult your doctor for proper clearance.)
• Viral infections and/or diseases
• Pacemaker or major heart problems
• Organ transplant recipient or donor
• Skin irritations near the treated area (Eczema, Psoriasis, rashes, sunburn, acne, etc.)
• Sick (Cold, flu, etc.)
• Accutane in the past year
• Major heart conditions, uncontrolled high blood pressure, poor general health
• Botox in the past 2 weeks, filler in the past 4 weeks
• Lash Serum 2 weeks before liner or lash enhancement (4 weeks for Latisse)
• Any treatment, medication, or illness that compromises the immune system/healing would make you NOT a good candidate for permanent makeup procedures
• Anyone under 18 years old
• Any major laser or skin procedure within the past 4 weeks as the skin must be in a healthy and normal condition (not peeling, compromised barrier, etc).
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MICROBLADING, POWDER BROWS AND FUSION BROWS
All three techniques are forms of permanent makeup or cosmetic tattooing. Microblading resembles 2 dimensional hair strokes and is done manually by making small cuts into the skin while simultaneously implanting pigment. This technique is not suitable for oily, compromised, and/or sensitive skin. Powder brows are another variation of permanent makeup done with a permanent makeup machine that utilizes a nano needle (think acupuncture size) to make small taps with pigment in a deliberate way to create the look of brow powder (also known as stippling). Powder brows are typically ideal for any type of skin. A fusion brow (or combination brow) is a combination of both microblading and powder techniques.
Regardless of the preferred technique, my professional style results in a defined, yet natural and soft for a beautiful daytime look.
CAN I GET BOTOX OR FILLER
HOW LONG IS HEALING OR RECOVERY TIME
Please reference the services page for specific information on each procedure.
*Please expect the skin to respond as it usually would when healing from a wound. We all heal differently and what works on one client may not be effective on another, so please do not compare your results. The complete healing process takes approximately 4-6 weeks.*
DOES COSMETIC TATTOOING HURT
While every effort is made to ensure you remain comfortable for the entirety of the procedure, please note that pain levels vary from person to person. That said, I use a topical anesthetic used for numbing before and during your procedure that has proven highly-effective for my clients. Most clients have described the pain level to be between a 1-3 on a 10 point scale for brows and liner and a 4-5 for lips.
The following may affect your pain levels:
- Having this service performed during your menstrual cycle.
- If you are a frequent smoker, the topical anesthetics used during the treatment will not last as long.
- If you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, be aware that this may affect your sensitivity tolerance to the procedure.
WHAT FACTORS WILL AFFECT MY COSMETIC TATTOO
Sun Exposure: The sun extremely softens the look of your cosmetic tattoos, so sunblock should be used (once healed) to prolong your enhancement. I recommend a broad spectrum 30 spf or higher, applied directly to the procedure area, 365 days/ year.
Anti Aging Skincare: Products containing retinol, acids, vitamin C, etc. will fade pigment if applied directly on the brows or near them. I recommend keeping those ingredients and products a half inch away from your brows.
Various Medications: Medications—especially those used to manage anxiety and thyroid conditions—can affect the longevity of your permanent makeup.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS ARE NEEDED
For most clients, a minimum of two treatments are usually needed, between 8-12 weeks apart. The first appointment allows us to create a beautiful baseline that is more conservative, so that at the second session, we can assess the color retention, make necessary adjustments and build the density, add thickness and/ or go darker should you desire.
Everyone heals differently, so if your cosmetic tattoo does not heal perfectly after the first session, do not worry; we can always go darker and add more density at your next appointment. The initial and follow-up appointments are included in the cost of the procedure. Occasionally, due to factors outside of our control, some clients may need a third treatment that they will be responsible for any additional costs. After 12-18 months most clients will require a touch up or color boost.
HOW DO YOU DETERMINE BROW SHAPE AND STYLE
For clients that have an ideal shape and color in mind, I suggest bringing in a few reference photos to your appointment. You may fill in your eyebrows as you normally would so we can take into consideration the shape you desire. If you regularly get your eyebrows shaped, waxed, threaded or tinted, please do so at least 3 days before your appointment; do not do any method of hair removal 3 days prior to the appointment. If there are any stray hairs that fall outside of our final shape, I can remove them.
For clients that need guidance on their shape or style, that’s exactly what I’m here for. As a highly-trained brow expert, I will help you determine the perfect brow for you by measuring your face, bone structure and features. Next, I will sketch the exact shape and outline with pencil so that we can critique the shape together to ensure it is your desired look. Once you give the final approval I will begin to numb the procedure area. I will custom mix your pigment color to suit you best while we wait for the numbing to take total effect. Finally, I will begin the procedure, working meticulously, adding layer by layer to achieve the most natural and beautiful brows.
HOW DO YOU CHOOSE A COLOR/ TONE
IS THE STUDIO AND EQUIPMENT SAFE
Absolutely! I pride myself on proper, advanced training and licensing. The studio space is immaculate and sterile at all times, as well as thoroughly disinfected before opening and after each procedure throughout the day.
Additionally, single-use sterile, disposable needles and hand tools are used. Clients actually see the pre-packaged, sterilized tools before the procedure begins, and all tools are discarded immediately after. All surfaces are wrapped in a disposable barrier film that is used and discarded following every appointment to protect each client.
WHAT SHOULD I DO AFTER THE PROCEDURE
There are detailed aftercare instructions for each procedure listed here. It is highly beneficial to follow these instructions to ensure a comfortable healing process and to achieve the best results.
HOW LONG DOES THE PROCEDURE TAKE
Brows: 2.5 hours
Eye Liner: 1.5-2.5 hours depending on thickness and style
Lips: 3 hours
Procell Microchannelling: 1-1.5 hours
All procedures are a 2-step process, usually 2-3 months apart. It is imperative to complete both the initial procedure and follow-up for optimal results. The time from the initial procedure to the follow-up is determined by both your artist and several client-specific factors that are taken into consideration.
- IN-PERSON CONSULTATION: Not required, but recommended if you have questions and/ or are feeling nervous or anxious about the procedure. For any out-of-state clients or clients who simply do not want an in-person consultation, I also offer over-the-phone consultations for your convenience. During this time, we will discuss the procedure, your desired results and go through any questions or concerns you may have.
For in-person consultations, we also do a patch-test when requested to possibly rule out any adverse reactions from pigments used. Please note that even if a patch-test is done, an allergic reaction cannot be completely ruled out.
- FIRST APPOINTMENT: The initial procedure takes approximately 2+/- hours. I will choose a color tone based on your natural brow color, skin undertones before drawing the initial outline for approval. I will thoroughly measure your bone structure and facial anatomy to design the perfect brows for your face. The goal is to frame your face to enhance your natural features. I am generally a conservative artist, preferring to stay on the softer, more natural side versus designing trendy brows or eyeliner.
I’m sure you have heard the saying, “Brows are sisters, not twins.” Though our faces are NOT perfectly symmetrical (one side is usually flatter, rounder, smaller etc. than the other), I do my very best to create as much symmetry as possible. Once you are satisfied with the basic shape and symmetry, you will be numbed and the actual procedure will begin. The application portion can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on your skin type and goals.
- TOUCH-UP APPOINTMENT: The second stage of the treatment is a FOLLOW-UP appointment that takes approximately 2 hours and is included in your service. Follow-ups are done no earlier than 6 weeks of your initial procedure and no later than 12 weeks. If you do not schedule your follow-up within 12 weeks, you will be required to pay an additional fee of $150. It is important you complete the follow-up treatment; without it, the results will not be optimal and in certain circumstances can fade faster. Color will fade significantly within 4 weeks as the skin heals, peels and fades. The follow-up corrects any irregularities from your initial procedure. Please remember that every individual’s skin is unique to that individual, and as such, everyone responds differently.
**Occasionally a third touch up (6 weeks later) is necessary for certain clients where the pigment does not take as well to the skin.**
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST
The pigment used is semi-permanent and lasts between 1-3 years. The pigment will fade at a different pace for everyone—with some people needing a touch-up as early as 6 months—depending on skin types, health, medications, sun exposure, skincare products used etc. In order to keep your permanent makeup looking fresh, a touch-up is recommended every 1-2 years.
Clients that choose a softer look with a lighter shade initially, or those who did not follow the aftercare instructions properly, may require more frequent touch-ups or the results will fade faster.
Factors that will cause your Permanent Make-Up (PMU) tattoo to fade faster:
- Sun Exposure
- Daily use of retinoids and some acids in skincare, chemical peels-do not apply onto procedure area and keep ½ inch away from the procedure area
- Iron Deficiency
- Regular Exposure to salt water or chlorinated water
CAN YOU DO PERMANENT MAKEUP OVER AN EXISTING BROW TATTOO
Permanent Makeup can be done over an existing brow tattoo IF the old tattoo is significantly faded.
If you have an existing tattoo you would like covered, please text a picture to 704-771-5537 to determine if you are a candidate for this procedure.
WILL MY PERMANENT MAKEUP LOOK FAKE
As an esthetician and permanent makeup artist, I always strive for natural, daytime-looking healed results.
ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS DURING OR AFTER THE PROCEDURE
During the procedure there may be some minor discomfort, usually described to be between a 1-3 on a 10-point scale. This depends on the individual. If you take blood thinners on a daily basis, then some slight bleeding may occur. Bruising is rare but can occur. There is usually slight tenderness for a few days.